- Thou shalt not blame the umpire – Seriously, any time you blame an external party for your lack of success, you begin to rely on those same external parties to become successful and winners don’t do that. Take responsibility for your results and don’t ever fall for the trap of making excuses.
- Thou shalt not rely on talent alone – Everyone is talented at something, but not everyone is a winner. Remember, hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard. Identify your capabilities and work hard to develop them to an elite level.
- Thou shalt always get back up after falling down – If you try to do anything significant with your life, you can never guarantee that you won’t occasionally fall. But winners always get back up and try again.
- Thou shalt be gracious in victory – Anyone who gloats when they are successful suddenly sounds like a loser, not a winner.
- Thou shalt be ambitious – Don’t aim to win small, aim to win big. You have to believe before you can achieve. Remember, shoot for the moon, even if you miss you’ll be among the stars.
- Thou shalt do thy best work when no-one is watching – It’s easy to perform when others are looking on, but champions are made behind the scenes. They are forged on the practice court, in the gym, in the library. They are developed through self-discipline, strong character and self-motivation.
- Thou shalt remember to smile and have fun – If you’re not enjoying the journey, have you really won?
- Thou shalt help others to win as well – The most successful people I’ve met and read about have been those who were willing and able to assist others to achieve their goals as well.
- Thou shalt not peak too early – The best work of real winners didn’t happen in high school or their early 20’s. They are always looking for the next challenge, setting goals that keep them inspired to push harder, rather than living off the benefits of yesterday’s success. Live a life of continual learning and ensure that the best is yet to come.
- Thou shalt ignore what losers are saying – There will be those who will try to tell you that it can’t be done. There will be those who try to hold you back. There will be those who tell you that you are crazy to even try. Winners ignore voices like that and surround themselves with believers, not cynics.
Previous post – Move From the Design Phase to the Building Phase
Next post – Poco a Poco