One of the key skills to being an effective coach is learning how to ask the right questions.
As a Life Coach with over ten years experience, I have been able to build up a sizable number of coaching questions that I’ve used effectively and I thought that I would try to catalogue some of my favourites for this post.
I was trained in the GROW (Goal, Reality, Options and Way Forward) Model, so I’ll be listing these questions under the relevant section.
- What must you accomplish in the next 12 months?
- What would you like to focus on today?
- What’s important to you at the moment?
- What are you working on at the moment?
- What challenges are you struggling with at the moment?
- How can you word that goal more specifically?
- How can you measure that goal?
- How can you break down that goal into bite-sized pieces?
- How can you word this goal using positive language?
- What do you want to be doing in five years time?
- What’s your ideal future?
- Where is your life out of balance?
- What is the legacy that you want to leave?
- What new skill do you want to learn or develop?
- What’s working well for you at the moment?
- What isn’t working well at the moment?
- What have you done so far to improve things?
- How does this goal impact your spouse/partner?
- What’s the excuse that you have always used for not achieving your goals?
- What aspects of your life will be impacted by reaching the above goal?
- What is the biggest obstacle that you are facing?
- What are you afraid of?
- What are you passionate about?
- What are you willing to endure to see your goal become a reality?
- Is that a need or a want?
- Where are you sabotaging yourself?
- What do you think you should do first?
- What would be the most helpful thing that you could do now?
- If money wasn’t a restriction for you, what would you do?
- If time wasn’t a restriction for you, what would you do?
- What would you do if you weren’t answerable to anyone?
- What would (enter name of relevant expert) do in this situation?
- What do you sense God is telling you to do?
- If you were guaranteed to succeed, what would you do?
- What’s the best use of your time at the moment?
- If you could only do one thing this week, what would it be?
- What can you do better than anyone else in your organisation?
- What books should you be reading to help you achieve your goals?
- If you went to your boss with this problem, what would they suggest?
- If you saw someone else in your situation, what would you suggest they do?
- If you had 50% more confidence, what would you be doing that would be different?
- If you weren’t holding anything back, what would you be doing?
- What are you going to do in the next 24 hours?
- How committed are you in reaching this goal?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how motivated are you to achieving this goal?
- What will it take to turn that 6 into a 9?
- Who do you need to speak to about this goal?
- How are you going to celebrate reaching your goal?
- Whatever your first step is, can you think of anything that might stop you from doing it?
- Is there anything else that you need to consider before starting?
Do you have any other coaching questions that you would like to add?
Previous post – Life on Auto-Pilot
Next post – Inspirational People – Warren Buffett